Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Apple Blossom Time in the Valley

It's that special time in our valley, when the orchards are beautiful in their dresses of blossoms. There is an Apple Blossom celebration this weekend, complete with princesses, a new Queen Annapolisa crowned, parades, fair grounds and lots more. People go on drives to observe the orchards in full bloom.

Yesterday, I thought I would take a little walk in the orchard to take a few pictures. I took a walking stick with me to help me along. (Good planning)

Starting out, I got a picture of  Dawn and gals setting off 
to work


This is what they are doing. All of the branches, save one have been
cut off these trees, and bud wood from another variety grafted on.

I stopped for a while to chat, (mostly to have a rest), then continued on.
I was feeling pretty good, and carried on to the end of this orchard.

This is the end of the one block looking toward another
section that goes further along. About this point, I figured I had
better turn around, as legs were starting to get weak and
going back would be uphill.

Oh Oh! Up hill! There would be a whole lot of 'rest stops'
before I got back to the girls. It is close to 1/3 mile from
the road to the end of this block. It felt like 3 miles by the
time I got back to the house.

Stopped by the pond going down and coming back to check out
tadpoles, but I didn't see our resident muskrats (2).


By this time I was beginning to wonder whether I had bitten off more than
I could chew, so to speak. Legs burning, and leaning more and more on
my stick buddy, I carried on.

Taking pictures was a great excuse to rest my legs.
Finally I was almost to the road.

Tired? Yes. Sore? Yes. Feeling accomplished? Yes.
I wasn't sure I could do it, but I managed. I'm a little slower today,
but am planning my next walk to another pond, a little
further away in another block. There is a beaver there who has
been chawing on some trees.

In the meantime, I am trying to do a bit of work around the house, and am
slowly but surely getting weeding and whacking done.

I'll end this post with a picture of the blossoms on the flowering crab 
on our front lawn. Bees are humming around it, of course....

....and a view of the orchard from the road facing the North Mountain..



Have a great weekend!






3 comments:

  1. You did get great pictures. This looks like a wonderful place to walk and take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orchard never fails to impress. We planted the first one in 1984, then added another in 86 and then 91. A lot of years, a lot of work, and a lot of enjoyment too.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures of apple blossom time! I'm glad you had the energy and determination to make that walk to show us.

    ReplyDelete